Thread: adjust an adjustable beam?

Images

adjust an adjustable beam?

might sound silly, ive a 6'' noarrowed adjustable beam ive fitted too my 72 bug, it got sway a ways fitted, how do i adjust them. i know its something to do with the lock nuts + hex key, but which way do i turn to raise/ lower and do i do it on jacks, or while on the ground, thanks john..
    Attached Images Attached Images

easy way is to do the on a jack, undo the lock nuts set the height then tighten up again
    www.northernclassicsandcampers.co.uk/ contact Ray Miles 07703 514488

Images
    hi thanks, i dont get how i set the height, im not thick but carnt work out what to do to raise or lower it ? ???

VolksWorld Regular

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by john73 View Post
    hi thanks, i dont get how i set the height, im not thick but carnt work out what to do to raise or lower it ? ???
    Undo the nuts etc so that the whole set up becomes slack, then move the two adjusters upwards to lift the car or downwards to lower the car. You will see that the torsion arms and thus the suspension arms will move up and down as you do so. That is if you have puma adjusters. The heigh set up is trial and error really to get the right height.

Images
    thanks dave, can i move the adjusters by hand or will i need a jack under them as well to get them to move??

VolksWorld Regular

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by john73 View Post
    thanks dave, can i move the adjusters by hand or will i need a jack under them as well to get them to move??
    If you want to lower the car you can lower the jack and thus the wheels will go up when the wheels touch the floor, bringing the adjuster down, then you tighten the bolts. It is sort of like a lever action. However if you want to lift the car, you will have to jack it and pull the wheels down, bringing the adjuster up. You may even have to remove the shock absorbers by unbolting them at either the top or the bottom to allow the suspension to drop. When I have to lift mine i find it much easier to take of not just the shocks but the whole hub and spindle assembly with the caliper etc so that I can freely adjust the adjuster with ease and so I am not tugging on the car whilst it is balancing on the jack. Some say that the adjusters should move freely but this is not always the case and may require you to push quite hard on them especially when lifting the ride height.

Hope that helps

Dave

Images
    thanks , yes it does, i did need to lift it a little + it wouldnt go,,, ill try that thanks dave!!